Bail plan tweaked for Sarnia man charged with second-degree murder after medical issue

Article content

Just one week after being granted bail, a Sarnia man charged with second-degree murder was back in court Wednesday because the person responsible for him had fallen seriously ill.

Timothy Nahmabin had been living with his mother at her house for almost a week after she agreed to be his surety and post $25,000 for bail. However, an urgent bail-review hearing had to be held Wednesday after she suffered an unexpected medical emergency.

Superior Court Justice John Desotti, the same judge who just ordered the 42-year-old Sarnia resident’s release, decided to keep the same plan in place but added Nahmabin’s aunt as a second surety. He will continue living at his mother’s house in the Aamjiwnaang First Nation and his aunt, who lives nearby, will move in with him.

Desotti added one condition to the order – that he be kept updated on the status of Nahmabin’s mother and notified if she moves back home. Defence lawyer David Stoesser told the judge he will keep the court updated.


Story continues below
This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.

Article content

Wednesday’s proceeding was held virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Nahmabin, who spent 102 days inside the Sarnia Jail following his arrest on Halloween, sat quietly in Stoesser’s office wearing a black mask, dark jacket and grey shirt as the lawyers and judge discussed the situation and asked Nahmabin’s aunt questions.

The initial bail hearing took nearly a month to complete. It began Jan. 15, continued Feb. 5 and concluded Feb. 10. The onus was on Stoesser to argue in favour of his client’s release as the Crown opposed it.

All evidence heard throughout the hearing, including the name of the woman who died, along with the reasons for Desotti’s decision, are covered by a court-ordered publication ban.

Nahmabin’s mother won’t be on the hook for the $25,000 unless her son is caught breaking any of his court-ordered rules. He’s under house arrest with a curfew and is only permitted to leave the property for certain situations, such as medical emergencies, counselling sessions or meetings with his lawyer.

The charge will return to Sarnia’s case-management court on Feb. 23. Nahmabin doesn’t have to be there while Stoesser represents him.

The charge was laid by Sarnia police nearly a week after a 69-year-old woman died. She was found unresponsive at the bottom of a rear-entrance landing in the 900 block of Colborne Road around 10:15 a.m. on Oct. 25, police said. Soon after she was pronounced dead from injuries suffered during a fall, police said.

The woman’s family did not want her name released, police said. Her name was redacted from public documents filed in court and a publication ban is in place.

Sarnia police confirmed the suspect and the woman knew each other.

The unidentified woman was the city’s third homicide victim of 2020. Four more people have died in 2021 linked to homicide investigations.


News Near Sarnia

This Week in Flyers